Monday, January 9, 2012

Christmas 2011

Christmas this year was lovely.

Christmas Eve day, I was still working on some finishing details for some presents --- feeling a little overwhelmed, but hopeful. ;) Somehow, without our volunteering, it was our family's turn to clean our church building so Nels took the girls to go give some holiday service while I stayed home sewing and crocheting with my Clarie.

We kept our candlelight Christmas Eve dinner relatively simple this year and enjoyed the evening together reading out of Luke, watching a couple Christmas videos from the LDS.org website, opening jammies, and then watching "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" together before sending the kids to bed. We let Elsie sleep with her older sisters in their bed and they were all so excited - but also very, very tired - so they went to sleep pretty quickly.



They were so cute all snuggled up together! As I went to check on them about half an hour later, they were all intertwined and happily snoozing away. I whispered happy Christmas wishes and love to each of them, kissing their darling little cheeks, and as I did so, Hazel smiled in her sleep. Nels and I asked her a couple of questions, to which she smiled or nodded or sleep-answered. It was so cute! and so funny. Adorable. I'm just the luckiest mom.

As Nels and I watched "It's a Wonderful Life" while we finished wrapping and preparing, it started snowing. It was such a beautiful and perfect night.


The next morning, I think I was just as excited for the kids to open their presents as they were, so we told the girls that they had to stay in bed until 6:30. At about that time, Clara woke up to eat and then by 6:45, the other girls were awake.

It was just such a fun and perfect morning.

Growing up, Christmas was always so amazing. My parents were excellent Santas and it was always magical. As a parent, I've realized that they set a pretty high standard and have tried very hard to recreate some of that for my own children. As a teenager, when most of my gifts were clothes that I'd picked out for myself :), clear through the time when I got married, Christmas lost some of it's excitement. I was always grateful and it was always fun, but it just wasn't the same as when we were little children. But I have to say, I think that Christmases now, with my own growing children are just as exciting to me as when I was a child myself. I love it. I love being a mom!




Violet and her WONDERPETS! :)

Lilie was SO excited for me to open a present that she'd bought for me at her school's Santa Store. For weeks she's been telling me that red diamonds are the rarest diamonds on earth . . .



One of the best gifts I've ever received. From a girl that loves her mama.

Elsie opening "Purpleberry".


And Hazel excited about her "Clover".



And all three girls with the Nightfurys. :) I love how Lilie looks a little blah. She was excited for her sisters to have a dragon so that all of them could play together, but you can see from her face that even though she still LOVES her own Toothless, she was a little sad she didn't have a new one also.

Don't worry. Her holiday woes were short-lived. :)


A BABY Nightfury! What could be more cute?


I can't even explain how excited I was to give these dragons to the girls. Nels was proud of me for being willing to put in so much work to make our girls' Christmas extra special and it was the most rewarding thing in the world to see their sweet little faces fill with excitement.

Last year, when I gave the original Toothless to Lilie (finally blogged about that a year later!), Nels had asked if I thought "Santa Claus" should give it to her. I answered with an quick and very firm, NO. There is NO. WAY. I would give the credit for so much happiness and hard work to a bunch of imaginary elves! These girls will know that their Mama did that just for them. Because I am able and because they are loved.


Santa Claus can take credit for gigantic lollipops and sugar cereal. :)


Violet and Elsie were very excited about their new dolly beds! So cute! That itty-bitty doll that Vi is tucking into that bed was a gift from Hazel. I love watching my little girl play with her little dollies. So fun!



It was such a fun Christmas morning.

After playing and relaxing for a bit, we ate breakfast and got ready to go to church. Our ward had a lovely combined service that was a simple musical program. I had an opportunity to sing a beautiful version of "Silent Night" in a quartet. It reminded me how much I love singing. Sometimes I forget.

I am so thankful this Christmas to my Heavenly Father for all that he has given me, most especially these sweet little people and my wonderful husband that bless my life with so much love and joy. I am so thankful to my Savior for giving me an opportunity to be with them forever. I'm so thankful for families.

6 comments:

Deanna said...

Lovely!!! THanks so much for sharing!!!

Sara Newton said...

Oh man is Grace jealous of those dragons! They look AMAZING! I would ask for the pattern if I knew I was capable, but I'm not. Way to go Rachel! (and PS. I wouldn't give Santa the credit for that either)

ClancyPants said...

Awww... perfect!

Makes me want to write out our Christmas adventures.

Spectacular! Love ya!

The Ricks Family said...

I recognize some of that fabric on one of the quilts :-) Did you make the beds too? Also, I know what you mean about recreating Christmas for your kids, I am the same way. Remind me to tell you about my advent overkill next time we talk. You will appreciate it.

Alisha said...

What an amazing Christmas!!

Amber said...

What a great day! I am with you I don't give Santa credit for the coolest presents. What can I say, I'm selfish =).