Did you know that sometimes life doesn't go the way that you think it will?
It's true. :)
Sheesh. Life sure has not been quite what I anticipated it looking like the last few months. Sometimes I feel like I don't even recognize my life.
And that's okay. It really is.
Three months ago, I really didn't think that selling the house would be a problem. Our realtor had assured us that our house would be easy. -- And I couldn't think that it would be anything but that. We have a beautiful home. We bought it lower than market value and we've done TONS of work and upgrading since we bought it. It's in a fabulous neighborhood. In a cul-de-sac. I knew that we'd have to sell it for less than what we bought it for, but we had built up some equity and had some room to negotiate.
However, as the months have passed, things are not what we expected. The housing market has continued to decline with the onset of winter and we are steadily running out of our "cushion" as our house just sits empty and we continue to drop the price lower and lower. We simply can't keep doing what we're doing.
Something's gotta give.
So. The winds of change our coming our way and it's frustrating, but we're resigned to it.
Our realtor told us that we'd have to drop the price by another almost $15,000 to get it to move quickly. We can't afford to do that. We've thought about renting it out but we're hundreds of miles away and, without going into the details, we just don't feel like that's a viable option for us.
So we're going to do a short sale. A decision that we have really, really struggled with, but as we've cried and prayed about it, we've realized that we are yet another family hit by the difficult economy.
I've shed a lot of tears over, "Maybe we made the wrong decision in coming here." But, in the end, I don't think we did. We made this decision so that Nels could move forward with his career. So that we would be able to spend more time together as a family. And things are what they are. We could not have anticipated the future and we're here now.
And even though we're disappointed with some of our plans being turned on their heads, we're still really excited for the future that we have here. We are learning some important lessons.
Namely, what real faith is and that sometimes life just doesn't go the way you expect it to. That doesn't mean that the Lord doesn't love you. That doesn't mean that you've done anything wrong. That doesn't mean that He isn't there.
It's just life.
All part of us learning what is most important and seeing things from the proper perspective. This is part of our experience here. And we're learning. Slowly.
So. We're moving forward. Cutting our losses.
And finding a way to move on and settle in here. In our new life. In a new "normal". :)
8 comments:
I LOVE you! You are AMAZING!!! I miss you and hope we can plan a Christmas escape to come see you.
Oh, Rachel!!!!!!!!!! I wish so badly that we could have made this part of your move easier. I really do. :( Hugs from hundreds of miles away. ♥
i love this.
i have learned through my life experiences that
true faith = surrendering.
you guys are so awesome and even though it isn't the way you hoped things would go, you're right. you are not forgotten. things are just different, and that's okay.
good luck with all that is going on up there in beautiful sandpoint. i wish we could just fly up for the weekend and "what's up time" all of our worries away! :)
It's so true. Life just isn't always the way we think it will be and sometimes even though we are doing our best and have righteous desires, it just doesn't always work out in a happy "quick fix" manner. True faith is hoping for the best and not giving up on God when it's the worst. There are so many other blessings besides money to have in our lives to know that the Lord loves us. I have learned every month for 3 years that the Lord still loves me and blesses me even when I'm in the middle of a tough trial. Hang in there Rach. Luckily we can still choose to be happy even when things don't go according to plans. Sometimes it turns out even better than we had hoped for.
You are amazing and your faith and testimony always strengths mine.
Rachel: I just wanted to let you know that your post was exactly what I needed today. My nephew has been severly injured in Afganastan a week ago don't know if he will make it or not but your words were exactly what I needed today. I don't know if you remember who I am but THANK YOU for your wisdom and wise counsel without you even knowing it.
Lisa Pardonnet (member of 2nd Ward - I was your VT for a short time)
Lisa - I do remember you. And thank you. I pray that your nephew will make it. I know that the Lord loves him and your family.
Thank you, today looks more promising for my nephew.
Post a Comment