Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fe-BLAH-uary

Does everyone lose their drive to blog in February? I think so.

It's not as if I've been extra busy with cleaning or painting or sewing or anything else particularly, (because painting and sewing and recovering - etc. - can't happen unless the house in as least in order) but I just can't find my drive. I feel as if I've been stuck in neutral for a month.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. Part of me never cares if my house is clean again. I feel just like my kids when I ask them to unload their clothes baskets and they fall to pieces about how HARD their lives are and how HARD it is to put away their own clothes and how they do everything.

Sometimes I fall to pieces just thinking about cleaning up the pervading mess that magically materializes everywhere. It's just going to come back before I can blink anyway, so why clean it up? Really. Then there's the other part of me that says, stop griping and get to work. Then you can actually do something fun instead of just hide from the pancake smashed into you bedroom floor. :)

Yep. It's awesome. Thank goodness for Nels. He loves me so much and has been my go-to guy for dishes (and often dinner) for weeks. He. Is. A. Fabulous. Husband.

I think the seven weeks from the middle of January to the end of February are my least favorite of the entire year.

Also, thank goodness for mother-in-laws that come to visit, so regardless of my blah-ness I still will get it cleaned up on occasion. Hooray for Grandma!

There are a few exciting things coming up in the next few months -- some that I am at liberty to share and some that I am not.

Nels's sweet Mama is coming over this weekend to hang out with us. - Super excited about that. - Nels is playing bass for a friend of ours for a Valentine's "concert" (of sorts) and Grandma is coming to enjoy it with us. I love watching Nels play. I love that his mouth hangs open when he's concentrating. :)

Did you all know that Nels was in a rock band when we first met?? I bet most of you didn't. This is always funny to me. To realize that most people that know me -- even if they "know" Nels -- don't really know Nels. It's hilarious and kind of surreal to me to watch friends' reactions when they see Nels play Rock Band, for example. They are shocked at how into it he gets and how loud he is and how funny and fun (and hot! :) he is. That's when I remember that they don't really know my husband. Because if they really did, they would NOT be surprised. He played bass and their band played a mixture of different rock-n-roll songs. Nels's roommate (nicknamed Senor Inferno) sang for them (and dressed up with a mask and tights and a cape!) and blew fireballs on stage. They were called the Young Republicans. It was funny and it was awesome. Later, after we were married, he was in a Misfit's cover band.

My first outing with Nels included almost getting kicked out of Denny's by the manager because the guitar player for his band was yelling and making a ruckus which included the words "Commie Pigs" several times. We listened to the Ramones all the way home from the restaurant in his great big blue Ford van. When he told me that he loved me more than rock-n-roll, I knew that it was serious. And should you think I'm making that statement in jest, you have got another thing coming. There was a time in our early relationship that all conversations began and ended with music. Needless to say, I got educated pretty fast and have been able to hold my own in a music conversation for nearly a decade.

........

Woah, that was a tangent.

I'm excited for Nels's mama to come visit for the weekend and I'm really excited to get to watch Nels play.  :)

My baby sister is getting married in April! That's exciting, no?! She's getting married to her Southern Sweetie that she met a few months ago. They are perfect together and are so loving and cute. The first time I saw a picture of the two of them together, I knew that she'd found her man. She looked complete and peaceful. I'm so very happy for you, Genny and Ben! They're throwing a huge party for me on my birthday --- with cake and white party dresses, a trip to the temple, pictures and family and sparklers and everything. It's going to be awesome. :)

Violet turns 1 in a month. My baby is 11 months old now and she's walking around like a champ! She still only takes about 7-8 steps before she falls over, but she's doing so great and I'll have to take some video soon. -- Too bad that my camera is still broken.

The older girls are excited for Valentine's Day. - Hopefully they don't pick up the Nasty Yucky that Violet and Elsie have, or else there will be no school for them on Monday.

Nels's birthday is on Tuesday and he really wants something exciting - like a hard drive. --- He's about as fun to shop for as my dad. :P And for the first time in two years, I'm actually going to be home for Valentine's Day and his birthday. :)

Elder Holland came to speak at Stake Conference two Sundays ago. It was wonderful and I'm SO thankful that we were able to go to the adult session on Saturday night. It was very uplifting. - And frankly, I left the Sunday session SO angry with my whiny children that Hazel and Lilie both got to sit quietly on chairs "practicing how to be reverent" for half an hour after the meeting was over. Regardless of my frustration, it was wonderful to be in the presence of an Apostle of the Lord.

----

And with that, I'm going to leave you. - To pick up Lilie from school. I hope that you all have a wonderful weekend and I hope to be able to report later that there are no longer crackers or pancakes smashed into my carpet.

11 comments:

Deanna said...

I love you! I love what you have to say. Everything that exits your mouth is so inspiring.

I did not know you married a ROCK STAR...but it is fitting, seeing how you ROCK!

Thank you for your sweet comment on my post the other day. It made me cry. {Hug} Granted, it was also after I had another melt-down. Some days I wonder if I'm really 27 and if I'll ever act my age, ya know???

Anyways, Love you tons!

Jandy Lou said...

I was shocked the first time I saw Nels play rock band...I had no idea he had such volume! We need to do that again...as soon as my tv is fixed...I am glad that you share things with us. I am glad that our lives are so busy we get to share things. Happy Birthday, Nels. Happy Birthday, Violet and Happy Birthday, Rachel. If you need anything, let me know! I can help you with cakes or cleaning or getting pancake out of your carpet.

Sara Newton said...

I've been feeling the same way about my house lately. My friend came over the other day and I took her to the basement thinking that since we don't spend much time down there it would be fine...during the course of her visit, I found 3 pairs of socks, a pair of Grace's jammies, 6 glasses from who knows when, and crumbs all over the floor. I was really embarrassed!

Sara Newton said...

PS. I feel special that I know Nels was in a band...I thought it was common knowledge. :)

katie said...

i am sooo jealous that my mom is going to your house! you are lucky! i love my mom so much and thik she is awesome!
i believe all that you have said about nels. he is an awesome brother and pretty cool on top of that. i'm glad that he will do the dishes for you, when we were kids that was not our favorite chore to do.
hang in there rachel, spring is almost here! you are a great mom and wife.

Anonymous said...

Can I just say that the two of you are still two of my favorite people EVER!! I haven't thought about those days for a very long time. What you didn't mention was how you and your roommates became absolute GROUPIES!! We sang every song, attended every concert, and you even hooked up with a member of the band ;)

The Moore Family: said...

I like the 'practice how to be reverent' technique. I wonder if it would work on Winston??? And I agree with you on mid-January through February blahs, blahs, blahs. I get that feeling too. Sounds like you have a lot to look forward too, though. Have fun!

Rachel Holloway said...

oh man do I feel your pain! These post Christmas months (until SOMETHING spring-like shows up) are such downers! man!
It does surprise me that Nels was in a band. He just seems so quiet--though, I have only seen him a few times--so I am probably not at liberty of picturing him or not picturing him in any scenario. :)

And Brandon's brother did what you sis is--threw a big ol' party--temple and all. Brandon said he should have gotten some of the gifts... :)Too bad they didn't feel the same!

Amber said...

Rachel you are awesome. Smushed pancakes, dishes, and all. I love you! =D

Melyni + Alma said...

More like Feb-puke-wary around here. We are sick and not fun with a newborn. Luckily he hasn't got it yet and pray that he doesn't!
Well you know, there isn't any snow on the ground here. So be my guest...literally!
..but it's overcast just about all the time. And even when the sun is poking through it's still too cold to go out and play. So what I usually do, is turn up the heat, put on some shorts and lie in the directions of the rays beaming through the windows. Did you know that babies have to take vitamin D supplements because they don't get enough sun? Crazy!

So anyway, now that I've written enough....

Congrats to Genny!! YAY!

Unknown said...

Feeling pretty awesome because we knew that Nels was a rocker!!! Miss you!