Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Being Behind

No this is not a post about our trip. No this is not a post about our family pictures. No this is not a post about any of the projects that I've done in recent months, weeks.

There's a lot to catch up on; that I WANT to blog; that I WILL post. Not today.

Just read a post today about a gal who has a baby a couple of weeks younger than Vi. She wrote about how she's pretty sure it was just yesterday that she was born. Asking her readers if it always goes by that FAST. She wrote: "Because if it is true, I am going to get some masking tape tonight and tape my eyes wide open so sleep won't rob me of a decent passage of time." LOL! What a great post. I can totally understand the feeling. It was a sweet post and her baby is adorable. I was fine. Ready to go on with my day.

Then I read the comments.

Mothers confirming that it DOES go by that fast. Crying because they'd just put their child on a plane yesterday to leave on a mission or to go to college all the way across the country.

And then I got teary.

My babies, while still young, are growing up. Hazel is SEVEN! Violet is now nearly 8 months old!!! And before I know it, life will change and they'll no longer be little. Violet will be four and then she'll be eight. Before I know it Hazel will be twelve and then she'll be dating. (And of course the other two in between!) They'll all slowly leave our nest. Ready to fly.

{{sigh}}

I love being a mom. It is truly my greatest challenge and my greatest joy. I certainly don't do everything perfect, but I'm doing my best and I know that that is good enough.

And so I'm going to blog all those recent, wonderful memories that we've had. Because if I don't, one day I'll wake up with my flawed brain and not be able to remember. It will be lost and gone. My kids will be grown and I won't remember what it was like to have them need me and trust me and look at me like they do. I won't remember what it feels like to hold them close and watch them sleep. To whisper to their lovely little faces how much I love them. How thankful I am for their patience and forgiveness. To feel their tiny little hands in mine and have them say, "I love you, Mommy." To watch their wonder as they discover something new.

Life will change and be different. Wonderful still, but what is NOW will be gone, if I don't record it. And I don't want to forget. What a beautiful life I'll have in years to come if I get to take with me the good from today and add to it the good that will be tomorrow. Over and over. To where I can look back on a life filled with happiness and joy. There will the difficulties and the sorrows, but as long as we stay close to the Lord, those things will just add to the fullness of life.

So updating is coming. I just need to get the Halloween costumes finished first. :)

1 comment:

Amber said...

Yes, that is why I am obsessed posting on my blog. =)