Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ode to the Pregnant Woman

Remember this? This, right here?

Yep. That was me two and a half years ago. At approximately the same point in my pregnancy that I am right now. Reading it made me laugh. Sad to say that I'm not a lot better now than I was then. -- You would think that I would have matured somewhat . . . :) Okay, I'm not QUITE as anxious as I was then and I haven't been having nearly so many contractions as I did with Elsie, but I think this is a fairly common stage for women to go through. The Crazies.

Life is much more stable. More constant and predictable. And somehow, even with one more little child added to my life, I'm not really sure it's a lot more busy than it was then. Funny. I laughed as I read about my lists I was so obsessed about. As I sit at my computer perusing one such list at this very moment. Things that when I can check off, I should be able to go into labor as soon as we get home from church tomorrow! :) LOL! I say after church, because I knew as soon as I was given the calling of Relief Society Teacher a few weeks ago, that I absolutely would not go into labor before then. Such a mean trick. :)

I'm excited for this little lady to come. Fourth children are really awesome, if you didn't know. I know personally. :) I'm excited to meet her little personality and welcome her into the dynamic of our family. I'm excited to not be pregnant anymore - as I have definitely been more uncomfortable through the past month of this pregnancy than I have been with previous ones. -- Rolling over in bed has gotten torturous and I'm fairly certain that most all the ligaments in my lower body are stretched to maximum capacity. Shoes are tight, wedding ring isn't fitting, and many a day my face doesn't look . . . quite like my face. (Please don't let one of those days be tomorrow . . . just let me look like my (pregnant) self while standing in front of all those ladies.)

This has been a good pregnancy. I've been really very comfortable and very contented with each passing week. There is still a part of me that would be okay with remaining pregnant for another two months, as I know all the "fun things" that are coming with the arrival of this new babe. I still feel apprehensive about having FOUR children.

But at this point, I am now making a conscious decision to draw upon my rights as a woman who has been carrying around this kid for more than 8 months.

My rights to turn into a Freakazoid every once in a while.

A woman preoccupied.

A woman with a goal. A goal that I have no control over when it will start.

I take full responsibility for making this decision.

I'm going to indulge myself and accept that I will probably remain in this altered state for 2 or more weeks.

___________________________


C'mon, Freakazoid. Let start crossing off some lists!

9 comments:

Deanna said...

I love it and I love you! I hope I can be put together like you in a 3 more months. :)

lynsey said...

ha ha, freakazoid, i love it! you sooo crack me up with your lists! and i loved re-reading that 2007 post of yours before cutie patootie elsie was born.

i actually got a little "list-y" myself when prego w/ leah. i tried to blame it on the fact that i didn't have a car and so i needed to remember what i wanted to do & get when ben got home. or else my pregnant brain would forget.

but really, it was purely prego anxiety. and each time i've had my kids, even though i had NO idea that i was actually going to have them that day...things turned out alright no matter how many things i had crossed off.

i have now decided to narrow it down to 3 daily things to have accomplished for the last few weeks of my pregnancy next time i'm pregnant:

#1-dishes done.
#2-garbage always emptied.
#3-clean underwear for my kids.

(these are all the things that i don't want to have someone else have to come in and do for me & can get nasty, but everyone has different stuff)

sure, i'd love to have both of the showers bleached and a full fridge at all times and clean sheets for all of the beds and the ink cartridges filled for the printer to keep the anxiety down. but the reality is, it's probably not going to happen.

so maybe if you come up with a mini-list of things that are MOST important to you (like those daily things for me are) then it might ease the anxiety a bit.

then again, i'm a freakazoid just like you and it probably won't!! :)

love ya, and good luck with your teaching tomorrow!

Alisha said...

You are too cute! We all do that! My always has to do with cleaning and getting my closets cleaned out! Good luck with your teaching! You will do awesome! I always liked your lessons back in the 76th ward days!

Thomas Family said...

I told Mark today that I wish I could teach Relief Society again instead of our 9/10/11 yr old primary class. Relief Society was much easier. :) And as always, I love your perspective. I am going to try and be comfortable & content with each passing week...

Amber said...

Yeah!!! I was really hoping your wrote a blog. I was missing you. Thanks for the post and update on your freaky pregnancy =). You are so AWESOME! Love ya!

Kelly said...

We love you Rach! You are doing great(and you look fantastic by the way)! We can't wait for you to have this baby.

Michele said...

Your lesson was great! It is amazing how much the Spirit does to help when we teach. Good luck until D-day. Let me know if you need anything or anyone to take the girls.

Rachel Holloway said...

haha..you are too funny! :) I think I can definitely feel the old bones this pregnancy...moreso than the others. I am excited to watch you adjust to another child, and learn from you since you will be ahead of me! :)

Hang in there. Hoping to see a new baby Chick sooooon!

Deanna said...

Thank you, so much for your sweet comment! It made me smile, cry and laugh. :)

I am so excited. They are all going to be best of friends, and I have to agree with you about that third one...I've seen it first hand. :)

Thanks again!