It's amazing how much the Lord can teach you in such a short amount of time (especially things you already "knew"), but I think the goal in my life right now is SIMPLIFY. Wow, the past six weeks have been a lot of growing for me (funny --- that's what I thought I was supposed to STOP doing once I had the baby!). [[[For those who don't know me well, sorry, I think I'm severely sleep deprived and somehow can't control myself enough to stay on task]]] Anyway, I've realized just how much time and energy I waste on stupid things! Whether it's going to the store almost everyday because i haven't spent enough time planning ahead, or yelling at my kids all day because I keep myself too busy and too stressed out.
Okay, I just wrote a big long paragraph detailing all the things that I've been stressed out about and then read back over it and realized that I've been rambling and not making much sense, and probably giving too much information...so I erased it and I'm going to SIMPLIFY.
The Lord is so merciful. He truly will take us gently by the hand to lead us and teach us the things that we need to know, if we will just let him. Sometimes we (I) just need to relax enough to listen. I've realized that when my kids seem to be having a particularly hard day, it's usually just that I'M having a particularly hard day...They're just acting the way they always are! There have been a lot of things out of kilter in my life the last little while, and it's continually amazing to me that if I get up in the morning (early) and read my scriptures and pray, miraculously everything else in life runs smoother - from the kids to cleaning to running errands to finances. If we truly will make Him the center of our lives, he takes care of everything else. I love him so much for being willing to help me be the best that I can be...even though some days my "best" is different from another day's "best".
SO. He's now helping me learn to simplify. From budgeting, making a menu, and shopping to reading scriptures, praying, and taking time to play and learn with my kids. I'm really thankful for my kids who teach me how to "smile at me" and "just be happy, Mom." (Which is what they tell me when I'm having a "particularly hard day".)
P.S. I just want to tell you all how much I love and appreciate my husband, who is currently upstairs taking care of Elsie. He has her in her swing, which is playing music, while he sits in front of her making up words to the songs. --- He's so great! --- I have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I have a wonderful husband and two great little girls and a beautiful kitty! (Lilie has been a KITTY for the past 2 1/2 weeks!!! She likes to call herself "Pink Gertie" and talks like a kitty most of the day. Even when she gets hurt she has a really hard time stepping out of character long enough to stop mewing and tell me what happened! She's such a silly little kitty!)
6 comments:
I loved your blog. you are so right. The lord will help you. He wants to help us if we will just listen and do what we need to to let him in. I love you guys. You are an amazing mom.
you are awesome rach! you've always amazed me with how much you take on & can handle. hey, i need your address. i have something that will help you 'simplify' your life. i've used it & love it. it will be an early christmas present! so send me that address. NOW.
love you, lynsey
Right on! I so totally agree with the need to SIMPLIFY. We really do create our own stress. We choose what we will do or not do in life. Sometimes I think I HAVE to do something...But really I choose to do it. Unfortunatly, like you said I think we spend a great deal of our time doing things that are "Good" but not "Best." Like reading our scriptures in the morning.
Anyway, to sum up my rambling comment. Thank you for your post. And for your awesome example as a mom. I love you Rachel!
I totally agree with you! Funny we had this conversation the other day and I hadn't even read your blog yet. Anyway - I just thought I would remind you (in case you forgot :0)) that you have three little girls - not two :0). You say at the end of you blog that you are grateful for your husband and your two little girls. HA HA HA!! You really are trying to simplify - by mentally getting rid of one for a moment. Just Kidding. I just thought it was funny!
Silly Melissa! Of course I know I have 3! Two of them are actually little girls---one is a little kitty (Lilie)!
I know it!! I totally missed family =(. Trust me I would have come if Wes could have taken work off. But with our trip to AZ after Christmas there was little hope of that. This year I want to try really hard to come to Utah!! It is so hard because we always have family asking us to go on family trips and come to AZ for this. I guess that is what I get for living so stiking far away.
I love you!! And I am glad you had a great Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment