Thursday, July 24, 2014

Kaleidoscope: Part Uno



When we were young, my mom kept a journal for each of her kids. Such a great idea. It has helped me to realize just how much like my mother I really am.

It contains a single entry. From when I was two years old. :)

(I love you, Mama!)

If that journal - which she gifted to me when I was in college - weren't tucked in one of the many totes packed away on high shelves in our garage, I would pull it out and copy that one entry for you. Another day, perhaps. I can remember reading those 3 or 4 pages for the first time and being amazed at how much my two-year-old-self was so similar to my 19-year-old-self. In other ways, it helped me to know my adult-self much better as I looked at ME from the perspective of my mother in 1984.

One of the things that she wrote about was that I was persistent. Like most children (mine included), when my siblings were on the cusp of learning something new like crawling, walking, talking, etc. they would get very fussy and frustrated. She writes that I wasn't like that. I would just happily practice. Over and over and over and over. Until I got it. Then I would move on to the next thing.

I could never claim that I don't get frustrated. NEVER. But I will say that I've always had a love of learning. I find great joy in the process and practice of life - in general - and especially in the areas that I have power over.

Maybe that's what is driving me down this path? Maybe I just like trying new things?

Nah.

But it might be what's giving me the "cojones" to make the leap. :)

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Reading your posts backwards....and now I'm crying. LOL! I just love you so much! :)