Sunday, July 27, 2014

Kaleidoscope: Post. Script. Post

When I sat down to write about my decision to homeschool, I expected to write one lengthy post ----- which then turned into five shorter-ish posts.

Oh, the curse of being wordy! 

I thought I would share a couple of articles or posts that have helped me to finally solidify that this is the right path for our family. Read them if you'd like. I thought they were great. The first two have absolutely nothing to do with homeschooling, they just really made me think about my attitudes and the desires I have for our lifestyle. 

Family Work: A long article, but made me really rethink our home. 
"Ironically, it is the very things commonly disliked about family work that offer the greatest possibilities for nurturing close relationships and forging family ties. Some people dislike family work because, they say, it is mindless. Yet chores that can be done with a minimum of concentration leave our minds free to focus on one another as we work together. We can talk, sing, or tell stories as we work. Working side by side tends to dissolve feelings of hierarchy, making it easier for children to discuss topics of concern with their parents. Unlike play, which usually requires mental concentration as well as physical involvement, family work invites intimate conversation between parent and child."

My Home As a Temple: I love this article. 
"I was startled to realize that she saw as "sacred" the very tasks that I always thought were obstacles to sacredness." 

I Can't Homeschool Because . . . : A collection of posts written by various homeschoolers addressing some of the most commonly used reasons against homeschooling. Two of my favorites where "Because I'm an Introvert" and "I Wouldn't Have Time For Anything Else".

Why Homeschool: The Gift of Time: "Even if we’re doing housework, we talk. Big, hard, thick questions about life, the world, Jesus. We get into the deep stuff over oatmeal. If the math makes the brain hurt, we go jump on the trampoline and eat a popsicle – that usually fixes most dilemmas. When tempers flair as brother upsets sister {or most likely sister upsets brother}, we talk it out and pray big prayers."

As I said, I don't know what's right for you. I just know what feels right for us right now and I'm pretty excited about it. I mean, seriously, wouldn't you be excited?! :)


2 comments:

Hannah said...

you are awesome. i look forward to hearing about your adventures!

lynsey said...

Ha ha! That picture is awesome.