The sun spills into our bedroom windows early every morning - a fact that Nels is not overly fond of, but which I love.
This morning it is especially bright and prompts me to get up before the rest of my family. I need to bake the bread that had been rising on the counter all night for lunches today and I have five bodies in the home that have been in need of some clean clothing for a while.
I actually love doing laundry in the quiet morning sunlight. I hasn't been happening much, as evidenced by the five loads waiting to be washed, but I need to make it my routine. It makes me happy.
I turn on the oven, dump my bubbly dough onto the counter to rise a second time, and find the last session of General Conference to listen to while I start the washer and plunge into the four loads awaiting folding. Testimonies of Jesus Christ from apostles of the Lord fill my soul and I am reminded how important it is to drink from Living Waters daily. Another thing that hasn't been happening nearly often enough.
The girls wake up, Nels needs clothes that haven't been washed yet, the bread is cooking, and it's time for breakfast. The morning is rocky and filled with some frustration as I try (in vain?) to teach my girls to be responsible for getting themselves ready for school. I'm rushing to finish lunches, packing up hot bread. Everyone is late this morning. Again. {sigh}
Get Violet breakfast (she's almost always last to rise), clean up the spilled milk and flying flour. Change a diaper and back to the laundry.
As I slip the headphones onto my head I start THIS talk. Given at the General Women's Meeting in March and am transported back to attending that meeting with my two darling older girls. My eyes fill with tears and I remember that I still haven't written about that experience. Maybe it's just small, but I don't want to forget.This was the first year that all the women of the church have met together in a General meeting. Both the Young Women and the Relief Society have each had their own yearly meetings, but this year all women from age 8 and up were combined. I've never had a chance to attend something like this with my daughters and the Spirit was overwhelming.
As I listened to counsel from inspired women and a loving apostle, tears streamed down my face and I was given a glimpse of the blessing it is to me to walk this path of life with these courageous, righteous, and beautiful girls at my side. I was reminded that these girls are my equals in every way. We knew and loved one another before we came to this earth and we are here to help each other return to the Father and do a great work while here. The meeting was one of the most spiritually charged moments I've had in parenting and I know that my girls felt it as well. Both Hazel and Lilie had tears in their eyes for much of the meeting as they snuggled their sweet faces into each of my shoulders and repeatedly told me how much they love me. They whispered to me how much they want to do the right thing and how happy they were.
I am truly a blessed woman.

5 comments:
♥ Loved this!
My favorite moment was when they had us sing to the younger girls, "Come, little child, and TOGETHER we'll learn..." That was so powerful to me.
Love this post. You should blog more often. :)
i loved this too. i wish i was able to overcome my challenges easier. if only i could go to bed earlier and wake up with the sun...
I don't think I ever wrote Bout how I felt at this meeting either. I was skeptical at first about having 8 year olds attend. But I was proven completely wrong when those young girls stood to sing. What strength and power they have! The Lord showed me exactly why they are coming to these meetings. I'm so glad I got to be a part of it!
I wish I could be there with you on one of those early mornings baking bread, listening to conference, and folding laundry, it sounds perfect. But I think I will skip the part about getting kids ready and lunches packed :). I loved going to the meeting with Hannah. We had a very similar experience. Love you RACHEL!
Post a Comment