Clara turns two tomorrow. My baby. My nine pound baby.
Two years ago tomorrow, I looked into the darling face of my fifth baby girl. Helpless, dependent, beautiful, pure.
So often over the years, sometimes even from my own mother - sometimes from myself, I've heard the sentiment (speaking of the rising generation):
"I'm so worried for them."
"I'm afraid for them, for the challenges they face."
Like I said, at times I have felt this myself as I look into the beautiful innocence in my daughters' eyes. I can see the precious and pure souls that their wonderful bodies hold. I ache for the loss of that innocence. Because it will come. While we live in a world of sublime beauty, we also live in a society of filth and heartache and pain.
I had a conversation earlier this year that calmed my fears - it was profound and has taken root so deep in my heart that I know it to be true.
I was raised being taught that I had been saved for this time in the world's history. I lived with God before this world was ever even created. He had a plan and had brought us (those of my generation) here to earth - right now - because we had a purpose to fulfill. A battle to fight.
And we had been prepared.
I believe this to be true.
One day as I looked into my daughter's sleeping face I thought, "I worry for you."
And a thought came back to me. Clearly. You don't need to be worried. She's ready for this. She's been prepared. She can do this.
As that sank in, I was first filled with peace and then with more apprehension. Like any mother, who did I question? Myself. "But what if I'm not? What if I can't give her what she needs? What if I'm not equal to this task? I fail. over. and over. and over. and over..."
The peace came again, You can. You've been prepared. It's enough. Keep going.
I look around at the children coming to earth right now. They are incredible! They have this FIRE within them, this need to KNOW. Often I have found myself at my wit's end with one of my children and their incessant questions . . . and questioning. Overwhelmed with the sheer power of their personalities.
I see it in my girls, in the Primary where I am privileged to serve each Sunday. I see in the faces of my friends' children, my nieces and nephews. I hear it in their parents.
WHY? Why can't they just do what I said BECAUSE I SAID SO? Where have the children gone that listened and obeyed - no questions asked?
Maybe it's always been this way? but I just don't think so. Maybe it's the media? but my kids don't watch normal television, never see commercials, we don't even listen to the radio, their best friends are their sisters.
One day as I was doing the laundry and thinking (my best thinking spot) about this very thing I had an epiphany. This is who they are! This is who they need to be!
Our world is so ugly, so vulgar, so inundated with smut and lies . . . and just information (a blessing and a curse)! They need to question. They need to be able to ask why. They need to be able to discern and sift through the garbage. They can't be docile. They've got to be strong enough that they can stand in the face of the liars and say, "I don't believe you and I will not back down."
This is who they are. This is who they need to be.
It is challenging to raise these children. They are strong. But we were prepared to be their parents. They can do it and WE can do it. They don't need to be taught fear in the face of evil. They need to be taught their strength and that their power comes from righteousness and virtue. They don't need to be taught to submit, but to obey God - because He is their leader. They need to be taught how to hear His voice.
We need to make sure that we are doing our part to do the same, but our best is enough.
They are His. THIS is who the Lord has saved to fight the battles. They've been prepared and so have we.


4 comments:
You shared just a portion of these thoughts that night at Hannah's and they have been so powerful to me this summer. Thank you for sharing your insights and testimony.
oh how i love you and find myself so so grateful, yet again, for your friendship. THIS is why our friendship survives through years of living so far away. you have such an amazing spirit and listen to TRUTH and i love to read your words. so glad you wrote this, and so grateful for your example and influence in my life.
i love you!!
Thank you Rachel! I needed t read this tonight. I feel and hear your concerns about our kids today. This very topic was on my mnd tonight and I was feeling overwhelmed. Thanks for writing what I needed to hear. I love you!
Amen! I agree with you the hardest part for me is facing the fear that I won't be enough. That I won't be in tune to know when they need some extra time or that I will ruin or scare their childhood. Just like you said we were prepared for this time just as they were and more importantly the Savior makes up the difference in their life and in ours. I read a fantastic article in the Ensign last month titled, "Grace for Mother Duck and Me." I loved it! I know that Jesus Christ will be there to step in and make a difference when I can not or am too distracted with just simply crossing the road with 5 little ducks in tow. Read it it is a good one =).
Post a Comment