Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Let's Pretend


When Nels and I were still newlyweds and living with his parents for the summer while Nels worked in Boise, we were called as Nursery Leaders. I was hugely pregnant with Hazel and not super accustomed  to entertaining a group of 17 or so 1 1/2 - 3 year olds.

It was chaos and super funny.

Most Sundays, by the time we made it to the last half hour, I was done for. Swollen feet and hands and exhausted emotionally and physically. Nels always saved the day.

He began a game with the kids where they would pretend-play their way through a day in the life of a typical toddler.

Sleeping. WAKE UP (turn on the lights)! Pretend to get dressed, brush teeth, eat breakfast. Then we "drive" to the store, play games, help make lunch, etc. Until eat dinner. Brush teeth. Put on jammies. Go to bed.

He'd play this over and over and over again for the last 30 minutes. Those sweet little kids LOVED it. He'd just keep on going until meetings ended and parents came.

And then we'd both go home and crash.

It was awesome and made me love him all the more.

The other day I'd gotten Violet and Clara both ready for bed after dinner, but it wasn't quite bedtime yet. We were laying on my bed {read: both of them were climbing all over me while I closed my eyes praying that they wouldn't damage any of my internal organs} when suddenly this game came to mind.

I started pretending with the two of them - walking through what a typical day looks like. And lo and behold, they LOVED it. :)

They laughed and giggled. Violet loved "driving" the car to the store and picking out all of our pretend groceries {milk in the towel closet, a really big watermelon in Hazel's room} and about 15 different My Little Ponies. Clara would climb up on my bed and remember to "buckle" herself into her seat. They thought it was hilarious that Mommy pretended to put on "footie" pajamas {ZIIIPPPPPPPPPP!} and smiled from ear to ear as they "brushed" their teeth.

Last of all, we'd snuggle up in my bed together. Violet couldn't wait until it was "Morning TIME!" again and she could go flip the light back on. Clara would lay next to me, smiling and staring at me with her pretty blue eyes while "honk-shoo"ing.

Then we'd start it all over.

I am not very good at "playing" with my kids. I often just forget amid the busy day and besides, "go play with your sister" comes so much easier. I can talk, I can do, but play is harder. Sometimes I just have to remember to slow down and connect with my Littles while they're still little.

That night as I helped Vi say her prayers, she "blessed" our game over and over again. She was still just glowing and so was I.

A happy day.

4 comments:

ClancyPants said...


Amber said...

That is awesome! Way to play old lady ;). I can just see those little chicks kneeling for prayer with there sweet mama. What lucky ladies!

Alisha said...

Loved this!

The Moore Family: said...

I love it! Those girls pretending with their Momma would make a great video! What great memories your girls will have. :)