Sunday, February 17, 2013

my {IDAHO} Love - displayed

I know I've said about it over and over and over . . . and over . . . in the past {gasp} thirteen! years, but upon first arriving in Idaho, I wasn't impressed.

I didn't like the high desert flatlands, I didn't like the wimpy mountains, I didn't (and still don't) like the wind and the icy cold, I didn't like the endless brown, I didn't like that Idahoans don't seem to understand public swimming pools. I didn't like that it was far away from my family.

But as the years have passed, I've learned to love Idaho.

I love the people. I love the small towns. I love the rolling wheat fields. I love the big center pivots watering massive alfalfa and potato fields. I love the geology. I even {secretly} love that these silly people pronounce the town Dubois "Du-Boys" - when everywhere else in the known world it would be pronounced "Du-Bwah".

I love late summer in Southeast Idaho when the wheat fields turn gold, the leaves and grass are a subdued green, the sky is the most perfect turquoise, and when the sun is setting my most favorite color palette comes to life right before my eyes.

Since moving to Sandpoint, my love of Idaho has taken on a whole new meaning . . . a year and a half into it and I've still not gotten accustomed to it's beauty. I still feel blessed everyday to live here and find myself smiling as I drive to and fro.

This last weekend I decided to really proclaim my Idahoan LOVE. I've said it in word, but now I've made it into art to be displayed in my house . . . What is this world coming to?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last year when I was introduced to Pinterest, one of the first projects that caught my eye was this little number. I vowed that I would make one myself one day. Yesterday I woke up in the mood to create something beautiful, got on Pinterest, made a decision, spent 4 hours in front of the computer in my bathrobe overthinking the project, then got 'er done.

(wanna see more states? i think they are so cool! see HERE.)



What do you think? It was one of those nit-picky-type projects, but my brain really likes meticulousness. I had so much fun that now I kinda wish it wasn't over . . .



There's still a big chunk of my heart in Idaho Falls, but no matter where we go, Sandpoint will always be one of my favorite places on earth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And in case you're interested in making one of your own, some info:

-- my piece of wood is about 11x15
-- I made my state shape in Photoshop (could use any photo editing software or regular ol' map)
-- I painted with watered-down acrylic craft paint and then sprayed a coat of polycrylic over the top
-- I taped my map onto the board to use as a pattern - LIKE SO
-- Home Depot sells "specialty" nails/brads perfect for this that are 5/8" long in the fasteners aisle.
-- I used needle-nose pliers to hold the nails in place while I tapped them in with my little hammer
-- the string I used is just metallic sewing thread from Ben Franklin craft
-- this gal gave an excellent little picture tute on the best way to tie the string to your nails. genius. she not only saved Nels's delicate ears, but saved me much heartache.
-- once I got through with all the prep work (where I always spend at least 67x more time than is actually needed) and started with the actual nailing, it took me approximately two episodes of Downton Abbey and one and a half episodes of the Ultimate Fighter. :) For those of you unfamiliar with British soap operas and (Nels's obsession) Mixed Martial Arts, that translates into about 3-ish hours. Then I spent another hour or so wrapping string this afternoon. And if that seems like too much, just be aware that I spend far more time just staring and thinking than most people . . . For example, this picture and post. I told Nels when I sat down, "Now. I am NOT going to spend all night doing this." 2 1/2 hours later . . .

7 comments:

Amber said...

I love it!!! Way to go. =)

ClancyPants said...

WOW!!! I'm totes jelly.

And I want one too, but I think I might need to make one of Finland. I really left my heart there.

Deanna said...

That's BEAutIFUL!!! I LOVE IT!!!! Very cool. :)

The Moore Family: said...

Good job on that! It looks really nice!

Rachel Holloway said...

That's INCREDIBLE! LOOOVE it!

lynsey said...

wow oh wow. that is seriously awesome!! where was life before pinterest?? will you make me one? but not of arizona, this place drives me bonkers. how about...hawaii? ;)

The Ricks Family said...

I got the hint about being sad that it was done, ok ok, you can do a wisconsin one for a graduation gift :-) LOVE LOVE IT!!! Maybe I will have to buy one because we both know that I really couldn't do it, I can't even cut straight...