Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sunshine, Bikes, and Vampires

It's been weeks . . . have you missed me? I've missed you.

When I don't post anything on my blog for long periods of time, I feel . . . almost like there's a hole in my life. Like there's something missing. I've analyzed this -- because that's what I do -- and I think I've come up with an explanation.

Lest you think that it's out of vanity or addiction.

I've realized that when I don't blog, I feel like that portion of me and my life starts to evaporate - or cease to exist - anywhere beyond my own memory. - Which, frankly, is questionable at BEST lately. - My thoughts, my feelings, our goings and comings, they cease to be anything but memories.

Gone.

And that makes me sad. When I don't record it, I have nothing to look back on. Nothing to remember of this time in our lives. I love so much and learn so much from what we experience everyday, that I just can't stand for it to be nothing but a vague blip on the map that is my life.

So I write and record and feel anxious when I don't. Not for you, but for me and for my family. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today. Was. Gorgeous.

It was Spring. Really Spring. And my sun-kissed face agrees.

Yesterday I got my "birthday presents" in the mail. A new bike (finally!!) and a new bike trailer.

*sigh* 

I'm so happy about that. I love riding bikes. And I love taking my kids with me . . . wouldn't be nearly as fun without them.

Yesterday evening I spent almost all of it putting together both the bike and the trailer. It wasn't nearly as much fun as I had anticipated . . . because it took so long and we had a few "hiccups" . . . but I tell you what, I think my neighbors were impressed. :) Five months pregnant woman out on her driveway with a toolbox and a bazillion kids milling around, assembling a bicycle. I'm nuts . . . 

. . . but it was well worth the effort (and the swollen feet and the sciatic nerve pain) as I rode with Lilie to school this morning in the crisp Spring air -- Elsie and Violet in tow - literally.

It was such a grueling day.

Rode with Lilie to school.
Rode home.
Cleaned up bedrooms.
Bathed Elsie and Vi.
Watered yard.
Rode to pick up Lilie from school.
Took detour.
Leftovers for lunch.
Vi down for a nap.
Make brownies with Lilie and Elsie.
Play "Dead Man, Dead Man, Come Alive" on the trampoline with Lilie and Elsie. (consisting of me soaking up some vitamin D while laying on the trampoline, grabbing the girls legs and tripping them while they bounced the begeezees out of me, and laughing like crazy while I then used them as pillows and tickled them :)
Eat hot brownies at the park with friends.
Come home and play on the grass with the girls, waiting for Hazel to get home from school.
Ride our bikes to our neighborhood playground. Swing and let all four girls get filthy while playing in the sand.
Pick up tortillas and ice cream and then head over to a friends' house for carne asada and guacamole.

Yes. A grueling day.

The likes of which I rarely allow to happen in my need to "accomplish" something.

But today, I'm really pleased with my accomplishments. I laughed with my kids, spent most of the day outside playing, and showed them that I really love them.

The other kind of days are important too, but today was really wonderful. And I need to remember it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a separate note - and as a parting treat for you this fabulous . . . Friday morning :)  - 

I will now share THIS with you:


 LOL!!! We traded in Lilie's front teeth . . . for a vampire.

:)

Ah. I love that girl. She is so funny.

Both her front teeth have been loose for a few weeks now. However, I've had to restrain myself from even "checking" them because, if it could be helped, I really still wanted her to have them for Genny's wedding. (Me? Vain? Why, yes. Yes, I am.)

A few days after we got back, I was walking into a store with Lilie. I smiled at her, she smiled back and
 WHOA! Lilie? Did you brush your teeth today????

Yes.

Echk! Let me see your mouth.

Her teeth were disgusting! - but she promised she'd been brushing. When she got home, she was told to immediately go brush her teeth and then come show me. Needless to say, it didn't help much . . . and by that time, one of her teeth was practically dangling. - The obvious reason for her horrifying hygiene results.

She put up no fight about pulling it out, but once in there, I realized that the other front tooth was only slightly more attached than the one to be pulled. 

She said NO.

I said I wouldn't --- I just wanted to feel it --- and then I did.

I'm a liar. And compulsive.

But now she can again thoroughly brush her teeth . . . 

. . . and she has been making crazy faces for a week now.


She loves being toothless.


And she is an absolute ham.

10 comments:

ClancyPants said...

Love this. Good job playing with your kids oustide. We did some of that too. Rohan wanted to have a "pignic". Brynja is a little sunburned... poor girl.

!!!

Melyni + Alma said...

What a Ham she is!! And a cute one! Miss you guys!

renee' said...

So true about not blogging and then the moments that pass seem to be lost in time forever. You do such an incredible job, what a gift to your family. It was so fun to see you while you were down here. I installed our dishwasher by myself at 8 months pregnant, it must be a crazy Moon thing. :) Determined. Enjoy the new bike, what a fun gift!

Deanna said...

Hey!!! We're riding bikes, too...because we're car-less. LOL! Let's go on a ride!!! Tanner is still kinda slow, I mean, just my pace...but maybe we could meet up at the park or something?!

And yes. I've missed you. :) Glad you had fun at the wedding!!!

The Ricks Family said...

that first pic is truly terrifying. Wish I could have been the friend you were eating brownies at the park with...and I don't even like brownies that much.

Alisha said...

Peter has been trying to lose those same teeth! Way funny!! You are amazing to do all that in your five month state! What an awesome mom!!

Anonymous said...

I did miss you but that isn't a new thing :)

lynsey said...

love it! and am always impressed with your skills, putting a bike & trailer together??? what CAN'T you do my friend?

sounds like a lovely, busy day. the kind of days i love the most....the only thing that could have made it more perfect would be squeezing a nap for myself somewhere in there, and then magically twinkling us all up to IF to hang out with you!

Rachel Holloway said...

I absolutely know what you mean when you say you're panicked about not blogging because your memory goes. OH. MY. HECK. That is soooo me. And that's exactly why I hate to not blog, even though it's not nearly as much now as it used to be.

Sounds like yesterday was the day memories are made of...those lucky girls! :)

And the teeth situation. Oh my gosh. Jenna has showed me her loose teeth (in like 5 different places) every day lately. I am fearful for them to all fall out and for her to enter that truly awkward stage. lol. :)

Amber said...

I love that girl!! I am missing you! TONS!