I have a question to send out there into the universe. I really believe that it's probably not a mystery that can be explained, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.
Why is the answer to most of what I say, "What?"
Girls: "We're going outside!"
Me: "Elsie, you need to get dressed first."
Elsie: "What?"
Me: "You need to get dressed first."
Elsie: "What?"
Me: "What did I just say?"
Elsie: "You need to get dressed first."
Me: "Right."
I just don't understand this. And it happens often. It's happened for years.
I say something and they answer "what?" I repeat myself and they answer, "what?" I ask them what I said and they repeat me verbatim. I don't get that.
Second, and related, situation.
Me: "Hazel, come here."
Hazel: "What?"
Me: "Come here!"
Hazel: "What?!"
Me: "Come! Here!"
Hazel: "What?"
Me (crazed and yelling at this point): "I didn't say 'GUESS WHAT?'! I said, 'COME HERE'!! That's what!!"
This happens daily with any one of my children.
I don't understand. I'm sure that it's just childhood brain damage, but I really just don't understand.
3 comments:
=) Thanks for the giggle! Thanks to you, I am now annoyed when my kids ask "what?" =D
Grace says, "huh?" instead "what?" And I get that a lot. Usually she says it when she doesn't know the answer too, so I hear it double...ugh.
BWAHAHA! Sorry. We have it here, too. We call it the "deef in one ear, can't hear out the other" syndrome.
:)
Post a Comment